Thursday, April 6, 2017

Kale and Sauteed Brussels Salad

I like shopping at Costco. A lot.

The problem is I end up with things like a 10lb bag of carrots, 24oz of pine nuts, and bags of Brussels sprouts and pre-washed kale that could feed my entire neighborhood.

In short, I come home with way more than I need for a family of four ... two of whom are under the age of 2.

And before you ask ... no, Costco is not paying me to say any of this. I doubt they even know my blog exists.

I just know that a lot of us shop there and buy items on impulse because they just look so darn good. I enjoy finding ways to eat through all that food without wasting any.

So when I find recipes like this one from Buzzfeed (which I saw in a video on Facebook), I adapt them so that I can use all that produce.

With my tweaks, this salad is filling enough to be a meal on its own.



Click on the link above for the original recipe.

Here's what I did differently:

  • I used pre-washed baby kale instead of salad greens
  • I used toasted pine nuts instead of almonds
  • I added a cup of diced rotisserie chicken (also from Costco)
  • Instead of roasting, I sliced my Brussels sprouts with a mandolin slicer and sautéed them in avocado oil (also from Costco) until they started to brown. I find this gives the salad a better consistency. I kept the seasonings the same.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with everyone online. The recipe and the pictures look great. Great work and nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems you like to eat healthy food and mostly vegetables or salad. Its no doubt is good for your health and keeps you fit without making you fat. But of course it should be tasty too.

    ReplyDelete