Monday, May 7, 2012

Typical Weekend Fare

The most common question I get about my diet is, “So, you don’t eat bread, biscuits, pancakes, toast, pasta or anything with wheat … what DO you eat?” Or, something along those lines.

To answer that question, here are a couple of typical meals I eat on the weekends.

Dinner: Ground Chicken (or Turkey) Portobello Burgers with Cajun Sweet Potato Fries

I got this recipe from the Make It Paleo cookbook. It’s a terrific resource, and the photos are gorgeous. The recipe calls for ground turkey, but ground chicken was on sale so I got that. Just mix the spices into the ground meat, grill it up and add some toppings. I promise it’s as filling as a real burger … without the carb coma from the bun after.




Breakfast: Egg Scramble with Sausage and Fixins

As I’ve said before, I don’t typically eat breakfast because I’m generally not hungry until a few hours after I wake up. But, I still love breakfast food, and breakfast is probably the easiest meal to paleo-fy.

This is a typical breakfast for me. I sautéed onions in a tablespoon (or two) of lard, then added the eggs and spinach. I fried up some sausage (bacon would be good too). Then sliced up an avocado and tomato, plated it and added a hefty scoop of sauerkraut.




And, I didn’t get a picture of this dinner. On Sunday, we went over to my parent’s house to grill. We grilled chicken, salmon and bacon-wrapped sweet onions. We also had a big, hearty salad.

I'll start posting more of the meals I make to give you ideas.

Also, over the weekend, I made pork butt/pulled pork/carnitas for the first time. Post coming soon!

To your good health,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment