Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sweet Potato Chips

I’ve always had more of a salty tooth than a sweet tooth. So, when I switched to paleo, it wasn’t giving up cakes and ice cream that proved the most difficult. It was potato chips.

Now, I really don’t have much of a problem with white potatoes. I probably eat one per week or so. They are starchy and loaded with carbs, but overall, in moderation, I tolerate them well. My aversion to potato chips on the paleo diet is the synthetic, toxic oil they’re fried in.

So, I’ve started making my own chips using quality coconut oil and my homemade lard. I use sweet potatoes because I will eat a ton of these chips, and I don’t want to eat white potatoes in that quantity.

It’s a bit time consuming, but sooooo worth it.

You’ll need:

-A mandolin slicer (or a sharp, thin knife and excellent slicing skills)
-One sweet potato
-1/2 cup coconut oil
-1/2 cup lard

Heat the oils in a small cast iron skillet over high heat. (If you use a large cast iron skillet, you’ll need a lot more oil.)

Slice the sweet potato. If you’re using a mandolin, be sure to use the provided hand guard. I almost seriously cut myself once by forgoing it.

Using tongs, place about ¼ of the slices in the melted, very hot oil. Let them fry for 20–30 seconds or so until small blisters start to appear.Then flip for another 20-30 seconds.

Remove the chips from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with salt.

Now, I like them a little brown. They’re crispier that way, but you can remove them earlier if you want.

Repeat these steps until you’ve fried all of your slices.


There are tons of other sweet potato chip recipes out there. Most of which you bake. I’ve made sweet potato fries by baking them, but I prefer frying when making chips in order to satisfy that craving for Lays.

Learn more about why salt isn't bad for you in this series of articles by Chris Kresser. 

Enjoy!

To your good health,
Allison

1 comment:

  1. OK sweet potato chips is a new recipe to me. i will do give it a try the weekend and will share my review with you. thanks for sharing the unique taste dish with us.

    ReplyDelete