Monday, May 21, 2012

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I'm not sure why there's a universal hatred for Brussels sprouts. I've avoided them for most of my life because of the stigma.

I've changed my tune since I changed my diet. Or, it may just be that my palette has changed since I've gotten older. I love Brussels sprouts now. And they're just so pretty. Like little cabbages.

I eat a lot of veggies. And salads can get old (and time-consuming to assemble). I cook every day, so I'm always looking for new side dishes that don't require a lot of effort. Because, quite frankly, I'm busy. On most weeknights, I get home from work, go for an hour and a half of yoga, then come home, cook dinner, clean the kitchen ... and before I know it, the evening is over. All of that to say, easy is good.


Here's a quick and easy way to roast 'em up for dinner. 
  • Rinse the sprouts, cut off the ends and peel off the outer, wimpy leaves.
  • Cut each sprout in half and place on a lined cookie sheet (Aren't they beautiful?)
  •  Drizzle with olive oil and grind black pepper and salt on top
  • Roast in the oven for about 30-45 minutes at 375° (This is generally when I do other things I need to do at home for the evening)

They were tender but retained a little crunch. I bet crumbled bacon would have been a terrific addition if I had wanted to take the extra time.

They're a great side dish for just about any cut or kind of meat. The night I made these, I had a nice juicy rib eye with them. The Brussels sprouts also reheated very well, so I also had them at lunch the next day.

Since some parts of Belgium do speak French, bon appetit!


To you good health,
Allison

4 comments:

  1. I sometimes use balsamic vinegar, it's yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen recipes that call for balsamic on top, but they generally also have you mix it with sugar and reduce it over heat. I'll have to try it with just the vinegar some time.

      Delete
  2. Add a chopped sweet potato to the pan and you will be amazed at how well the flavors combine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I've also been experimenting recently with cubed, roasted butternut squash!

      Delete