Monday, May 14, 2012

Carnitas!


Meat, meat, and more meat.

Since I switched to paleo, I’ve become much more of a meat eater. Not that I wasn’t before, but I’m noticing how much I crave it now. My body likes it.

Have you ever given yourself the challenge of drinking more water? And when you do, you realize how much you crave it? And how other beverages start to not taste as good? It’s kind of like that.

I need the protein. It’s also very filling, and I run a lot longer on protein (and fat) without getting hungry than I ever did on grains/refined carbs.

I got the idea for making carnitas from a podcast I recently discovered, Everyday Paleo. (It’s a fantastic podcast for anyone who wants to learn more about paleo, or even if you’re new to the idea.)

I was inspired to make carnitas after hearing Dain (the host of the show) talk about it on podcast. I emailed him, and he kindly gave me the recipe/method.

 Here’s what you’ll need:
  • Pork butt (yes, that’s the actual term)
  • Lard
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • Mustard
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Bell pepper (sliced)
  • Onion (sliced)

Here’s how I made it:

Carnitas
  • Rub the pork butt with lard.
  • Season it with salt, pepper and garlic power.
 

  1.  
  2.  








  • Put it in a Dutch oven and cook it in the oven on LOW (about 200º-215º) “all freaking day” (this equaled about 9–10 hours for me).
  • When it’s finished cooking, the meat will literally fall apart and off the bone. Separate the meat and remove the bone.


 


  • In a cast iron skillet, “refry” up the pork. This actually changes the flavor and texture of the meat quite a bit. I recommend only refrying the amount of pork you’re going to eat for that meal. Save the rest in the fridge and fry it up when you’re ready to eat it.













Onions and Peppers
  • Just fry ‘em up in a skillet with a little lard until tender.


The Sauce
  • For the sauce: Mix up some of the lard that rendered in a separate bowl with a little mustard and apple cider vinegar.

  • Plate a serving of the onions and peppers. Top with the pork and pour a little of the sauce over it, and get ready for a little fiesta in your mouth.

The sauce is really what ties it all together. While each item is delicious on its own, once it's all on the plate together, it turns into something magical!

Enjoy!

To your good health,
Allison

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete