Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bulletproof Coffee

You're probably going to think this is gross ... at least that's what everyone I've told about it so far has said.

It really isn't. I promise.

I learned about Bulletproof Coffee a couple of weeks ago after it started popping up on a lot of low-carb and paleo blogs. I've found it to be a terrific way to start the day and stay energized throughout the morning. I had Bulletproof Coffee on Thursday and Friday last week, and I was satiated for about six hours. No joke.

This is where I deviate slightly from a strict paleo diet. I still eat dairy.

The reason the coffee is so satisfying is because there is butter in it. A lot of butter. On a low-carb diet, fat is important. It gives you that full feeling that keeps you from over-eating. The right kind of fats matter. I eat a lot of healthy, saturated fats. (I'll have to do a blog on this topic some time.)

The butter in this coffee is UNSALTED butter from pasture-raised cows. (That part is really important. The fat in butter from grain-fed cows that don't get sunlight is different. It doesn't blend well and the nutrients passed on from the cow to its cream -- and then the butter -- aren't as healthy.) When you get down to it, the kind of butter I used here is really just over-churned cream.

I didn't follow the recipe exactly. Of course, they want you to buy their coffee beans. And, I'm sure there is a valid reason for that. I bet they make amazing coffee. But, this blog is about doing what you can with what you have.

I used:
  • 4–5 tbsp of Kerrygold unsalted butter. You can find this in most grocery stores.
  • 500 ml of freshly brewed Starbucks Komodo Dragon coffee blend (this equals brewing to about the 5-cup line on the coffee pot)
  • 1 tbsp Lou Ann's pure coconut oil
I poured the brewed coffee into the blender. Added the other two ingredients and blended for about 10–15 seconds.

And, voila:


I love this coffee. It's creamy. It's frothy. It's delicious. And, it keeps you alert and focused during busy mornings at work. I can't have it every morning though, mainly because the butter is expensive. :)

To feeling full, tasty beverages, productive mornings and, of course, your good health,

Allison

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allison! I found you from the listing on Jimmy Moore’s blog. I have been trying out the Bulletproof Coffee, too, and it’s delicious. I get all sorts of looks when I explain what it is. Oh, well. Their loss if they think it’s gross. It’s amazing how I drink it in the morning and can go all the way through 2:00 pm before I think to have lunch. I never thought that could be me. Getting over the fear of fat was the healthiest thing I’ve ever done. I really like your blog and look forward to seeing what you have on tap coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I love Jimmy Moore. Talk about a wealth of information and one of the nicest guys ever!

    Glad I'm not alone in my love of Bulletproof Coffee. It is remarkable how long it keeps you full.

    I'm just posting a couple of times per week right now. Trying to get in a good groove. :)

    ReplyDelete