Sunday, March 25, 2012

Paleo Breakfast

Breakfast. According to some, it's the most important meal of the day. Though, I'm not usually hungry until about 11:00 am, so for me it's more like brunch.

Regardless of when you eat in the morning, it is the first thing you're putting into your body since the night before; so I try to make it something that's nutrient-dense and filling.

When I stopped eating grains, breakfast became a huge challenge. Without traditional options like cereal, Pop Tarts, granola bars and toast, weekday mornings began mocking my ineptitude to feed myself.

A little planning goes a long way. Every Sunday evening, I make something I can eat each morning during the week. I try to get a lot of protein and healthy fats for my first meal. I stay full and energized for longer than I ever did with grains, I don't crash an hour after I eat it and when I do get hungry again, it's a just a gentle nudge to eat and not a ravenous, I-have-to-eat-or-I'm-going-to-die kind of feeling.

This week, I made a frittata.

This is how I make it:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2.  Fry 6 pieces of bacon in a cast iron skillet.
  3. Chop veggies. I generally use whatever veggies I have on hand. Tonight, I used zucchini, asparagus, onion, mushrooms, broccoli, green pepper and tomatoes. 
  4. When the bacon is done, move it to a cutting board and cut it into bite-size pieces.
  5. Then, saute the veggies in the bacon grease. (I add a little salt to help draw the water out of them.)
  6. While the veggies cook, whip 9 eggs with about half a cup of heavy cream in a separate bowl.
  7. When the veggies have cooked down, move them to a separate bowl to cool just a tad; then mix them in with the eggs.
  8. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil or butter to the pan you used for the bacon and veggies, when it has melted, pour the egg and veggie mix into the hot pan. Top with the bacon and shredded cheese.
  9. Cook over medium high heat on the stove top for about 5 minutes then transfer to the oven for about 15 minutes.
  10. The frittata is done when you gently shake the pan, and it isn't wobbly in the middle.
And, voila:

After it's cooled, I cut it into slices, and put each in a separate tupperware container.



Then stack 'em up in the fridge. Breakfast is ready for the week! I also usually have some full fat Greek yogurt with my frittata slice.


 With more time on weekend mornings, I indulge in something like this:


If I eat either of the above options for breakfast, I'm usually full until about 4:00 pm or so. That's generally when I notice I haven't eaten "lunch" yet. 

For more info on why I eat the way I do, check out the "About Me" tab. I'll also get more into that in future posts.

To your good health,
Allison

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you've found a solution to the IBS problem, I know that was very troublesome. I find that my ability to process food depends greatly on what I eat as well. Yesterday I ate ONE BITE of a store-bought cupcake...and paid for it shortly thereafter. Here's to a healthier and happier you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! So sorry, I guess my original reply didn't save. I know what you mean about learning what foods trigger ... less-that-desirable outcomes. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. A couple questions about that last breakfast photo:

    1) What's that green squarish fruit/vegetable?
    2) How do you keep the rest of your tomato (I only see 2 slices)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure thing, Wayward Son (AKA "Kansas Fan," I'm assuming). :)

    1. That's an avocado. I sliced it very non-traditionally. Sorry for the confusion.

    2. I usually put the part of the tomato I don't use in a ziplock baggie or small tupperware container. I think I used the rest of it that night for a salad. I try to use leftover tomatoes quickly -- they tend to get squishy if you wait too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breakfast is indeed the most important of all the meals as it decides how much work you can do on the basis of its energy. I used to make Paleo for breakfast whenever I had heavy work to do.

    ReplyDelete